What Can I Do About My Tooth Pain?
Tooth pain can be quite uncomfortable, making it difficult to enjoy food, to smile, and even to sleep. Fortunately, most tooth pain is preventable and simple to remedy. Once the source of the pain is identified, adjusting your dental routine to soothe it is ideal. Elliff Dental in Batavia, IL can alleviate your dental pain using preventative and emergency dentistry.
Addressing dental discomfort in Batavia, IL is not a one-size-fits-all process. It takes listening to your body and your dentist to find the treatment that is best for you.
Some causes of oral pain include:
- Hypersensitivity of the tooth
- A cavity that has developed
- Infection of the gums
- An impacted tooth
However, aches in the teeth and gums are avoidable. With a little consistency and care, finding a preventative or emergency solution for tooth pain does not have to be an issue.
Some tips to prevent dental pain are:
- Brush regularly with a fluoride-containing toothpaste
- Floss one to two times daily
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet that is low in sugar
- Inspect your wisdom teeth if you have them
This may be all you need if you are not experiencing pain, but what if you may already be experiencing sharp pain and tenderness, particularly at night?
If you already experience dental pain, there are some simple things you can do to find quick relief:
- Take over the counter medication like Tylenol or Advil.
- Rinse your mouth with warm (not hot) saltwater.
- Put an ice pack near or on the affected area.
- Try acupressure in conjunction with your normal dental routine.
Don’t be afraid to reach out for help in addressing your pain. Some sources of soreness can not be addressed without professional emergency dentistry.
Stay ahead of dental pain by taking these steps:
- Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups
- Make an appointment with your dentist when experiencing acute pain that won’t go away within 1-2 days.
- Make sure that if you have seen the dentist recently you don’t have an infection
With these simple techniques, your dental pain should be an experience of the past. If you are in the Batavia, IL, area and are experiencing trauma or long-standing dental pain, visit Elliff Dental to discuss your options for emergency dentistry treatment. Contact (630) 482-7200 to make an appointment.