What To Expect
"THE WORLD IS BRIGHTER WHEN YOU SMILE"
At Elliff Dental we believe that you should be an active participant in your dental care. We want you to feel comfortable in making decisions with the dentists and team members. We provide the latest in advanced technology and digital communication. After meeting with the Dentist, our treatment coordinator will present you with an outline of the Dentist treatment recommendations and present you with financial and treatment options. At Elliff Dental we are commited to helping you develop a plan that you are confident and happy with. This is just another reason we are commited to the best patient care.
The following is a summary of what you can expect as a new patient to our office.
- Upon arrival, you'll be greated by our friendly treatment coordinator.
- You will then have a private consultation with a team member to discuss your dental care desires, history, and process your patient information.
- We will take any necessary x-rays. We offer digital x-rays with instantaneous results at 90% less radiation than traditional radiograph systems. We also will use an intra-oral camera to provide you with pictures of the problem areas.
- Dr. Elliff will greet you and listen to your dental health needs, concerns, and expectations. The dental examination will only begin after all your questions have been answered and you are completely comfortable with proceeding.
- Dr. Elliff will then perform a comprehensive dental examination consisting of five phases.
- We will provide you with an honest dental health report based on your x-rays and dental examination. The doctor will outline the procedures and recommendations in a customized format required to address your dental health and discuss any alternatives you might have.
Below is a more in-depth look at some of the procedures listed above.
Dental radiographs or x-rays are essential, preventive, diagnostic tools that provide valuable information not visible during a regular dental exam. Elliff Dental and its team members use this information to safely and accurately detect hidden abnormalities and complete an accurate treatment plan. Without x-rays, problem areas may go undetected.
A comprehensive dental exam consisting of four phases will be performed by Elliff Dental on your initial dental visits. At regular check-up exams, your dental will also include the following.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, bone loss, and other abnormalities that may be present in your mouth.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: a complete periodontal exam to look for signs of periodontal disease.
- Tooth-by-tooth examination: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay, wear, fractures, and overall condition.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleaning (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by an Elliff Dental hygienists. Our hygienists are specially trained to provide the best care to our patients. If there are any signs of periodontal disease a more in-depth cleaning (Scaling and Root Planing) will be performed. Your hygienist will be able to explain why a certain cleaning is recommended. A cleaning does consist of:
- Removal of calculus (tarter) which is a hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gumline and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque which is a sticky, almost invisable film that forms on the teeth. It's a growing colony of bacteria, food debris and saliva. This will cause inflammation which is the first sign of periodontal problems.
- Polishing which is used to remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during brushing and scaling
How To Prepare
Quality dental care requires a team effort. We understand your first visit or any other visit can be a stressful experience. We want to help you relax and and maximize your time in addressing your dental health needs. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to help your appointment run more smoothly.